Friday, May 23, 2008

nostalgia

My association with Calcutta University and my college came to an end yesterday, when I went back to college to pick up my degree and migration certificate. It’s been 2 years since I graduated, and even though college was the biggest, most important part of my life while was there, I hadn’t ever been back. Possibly it was the fear of going to a place that meant so much to me, and not being able to identify with it anymore. Or maybe it’s because I just grew out of the college mode after working and got too tied up in my own life.

But, while waiting for my HOD, I took a walk around college, and the memories came pouring back.

Memories of the wonderful times spent chatting under the arches of the main building, of spending hours an hours sitting on the table of the union room, of spending many unbelievable months of sitting hand in hand on the canteen steps with D, of splitting sprite and “chicken chow with chilly sauce and 3 forks” with M and S, of drinking steaming cups of masala chai in the canteen, of listening to S play the guitar, of chasing Milieu’s puppies all over college, of trudging to the photocopier at the main gate with millions of books before the exams, of spending many a winter afternoon on the canteen chatt, of proxies in class, of slipping out of the math pass class after attendance, of hanging around all evening in college promising ourselves we’ll go to GT, but ending up bunking, of getting yelled at by the Political Science prof for not attending his classes, of Milieu and the rock night, of Puja Pandals and food station treats and of insecurities and worries and crushes and heartache and love and friendships that i hope will last a lifetime.

And that’s when I realized how much I’ve missed college and the friends I’ve made there. And how much I’m looking forward to getting back to campus life. Presidency gave me 3 of the most amazing years of my life. Its given me wonderful friends, D, and plenty of smiles.

3 comments:

Pami said...

Not to mention its given u loads to stuff into ur CV :P
Nice post btw...reminded me of how i used to be apprehensive of gng back to JU...for fear that things wudn't mean the same to me anymore...cudn't bear going back to univ amidst a crowd of newbies..bng an unknown face in dat same ambience where i once used to be one of d happening people..

Sonal said...

I know. That's exactly how i felt. Which is why i put it off for so long. But when i finally did, all i remembered was the good times.

haye.. i want to go back :(

ru said...

you forget the endless cups of tea you paid for as i was always 'out of small change.'